Tuesday 22 February 2011

Eelus

Eelus is a lovely chap. I've been a big fan of his work for a good while now. Having viewed his pieces on the interweb and in person, it reaffirms my love of this free art form.

I've passed by his 'Lost Angel' (left) many times on South William Street in Dublin while out for a tasty pint or two of Guinness. It's an amazing piece of stencil work. One of the best in Dublin (there's a few) and is only spoiled by the obstruction from the local restaurants and bars wheelie bins at times (Sort that out). It is in a great area of the city, with many an amazing, rustic, untouched, gloomy, decaying drinking spot near by.

Last year, having looked at his work for awhile I decided to purchase one of his prints. I bought 'I said I'm happy, what more do you want'. Thinking it may appeal my fiancĂ©e as well and thus pose no threat when framed and up on our walls!

Delivery:- Can take up to five weeks. So I knuckled in, waiting for its arrival (like it was Christmas). Each day...'has it arrived'.......'sorry, not yet'. Days turned into weeks until the five weeks passed. Then seven weeks. So I emailed Eelus through his website. He was very apologetic, and reassured me that the print would be on its way once he got into his studio the next morning. Once again, weeks floated by until finally a delivery from Eelus.com. Yay, it's here! On collection, the package turned out to be a bunch of postcards! Holy Mackerel! What are you trying to do to me man!!! I emailed him again.... 'The postcards are lovely, thank you'. 'But on another note, the print that I ordered, I'd love to actually have it here'. More apologies and he explained that he was a one man band and had been out of the country a lot recently (which I was aware of). So we chatted back and forth over the net for a bit and he seemed like a genuinely nice fellow. A week later, I picked up my cardboard print tube from the post office. I walked back to the flat, with a feeling of contentment and joy wrapped around me.

Opening up the tube I was pleasantly surprised to find that the good man himself had slipped in a second print for my tales of woe. I was chuffed to bits. This was a very thoughtful thing to do! The second print 'taken' was awesome. And to cap it off it was an artists proof! What a nice guy!

He's doing very well at the moment with quite a few projects on the go and in many a great location! Teaming up with some great artists including Logan Hicks (who is, on a technical level, one of the best). His studio is absolutely amazing, a thing of beauty, in essence, all I want in life! Ahhhhhhhhhh, one day.....




No comments:

Post a Comment